Introduce yourself!

A place to announce what's going on, if it doesn't fit into one of the other event cateories
IanJ

Introduce yourself!

Post by IanJ »

I figure a good way to start things off is with introductions -- I know some of us have known each other for years, but this will be a great way for new members to figure out who's who. You can create your own thread, or post in this thread. I'll start us off.

My name is Ian, and I've been involved with EAA Chapter 84 for about 3 or 4 years now, and am on my second year as the newsletter editor. I'm flying a 1956 Champ 7EC, which I call Norbert, after the dragon Hagrid hatched in the first Harry Potter story, because it's black and green, and it flies. No fire-breathing, fortunately. We've been as far as LA to the south, and Oshkosh to the east, but mostly fly around the local area.

I'm building a Marquart Charger (https://marquartcharger.org/), which is a two-place biplane that looks a bit like some of the 1930s designs to my eye. I'm about a year and a half into a 10-20 year build, working on building and assembling all the wing parts before I launch into actually assembling whole wing panels. I should be building wing panels by the end of the year, unless something changes. I'm currently welding steel brackets, which are typically used for attaching the interplane struts or cabanes to the spars, and after that I'll be trying my hand at painting those brackets with some Stewart Systems paint and a small spray gun.

I do lots of other things besides aviation, though aviation has been my primary focus lately. I'm also a theater tech, a photographer, a cellist, an embedded systems designer, and a writer, when I'm not programming computers for The Man.
Flying Norbert, a 1956 Champ 7EC
Building a Marquart Charger MA-5 biplane

josephmccartney

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by josephmccartney »

Hi Everyone,

I joined the chapter on April 3rd.

I’m Joe McCartney, and live up at Frontier Airpark since 2011. I spent 32 years at Boeing (started out at Boeing Aerospace - Kent and Tulalip Test Site, but switched to Customer Engineering when Tulalip closed in 97), and retired a couple of years ago this July 31st.

I fly a 1960 TriPacer, which my daughters nicknamed WhirlyBird!! Yes, they were very young at the time, and did not understand helicopter nomenclature. I have yet to put up a hangar at Frontier, so still base my plane at Arlington (since 1999).

I recently acquired another TriPacer project, and intend to use it as a starting point for my WagAero PA-14 replica (aka Sportsman 2+2, aka CHUBy CUBy). Hoping to get my hangar built next spring, to support my project, as well as getting my TriPacer home.

My favorite activity with the TriPacer is taking her camping. She may not be a bush plane, but she transports camping gear really well. :-) And as far as I can tell, a very forgiving airplane.

I’m looking forward to eventually meeting everyone, and participating in the virtual meetings in the meantime.